Sunday, September 27, 2009

light wheat - bread baker's apprentice challenge #18

So, with crackers on the menu for challenge 17, I knew I would need more bread to tide things over. So while the crackers did their thing, I started on this light wheat bread for recipe 18 of the bread baker's apprentice challenge. It's crazy to think how far we have come already, and there are plenty of treats left to coax out of our ovens!

I put this bread together twice. Yet for some reason, the second version did not rise. I can't figure it out. I didn't kill the yeast with water. I kneaded and kneaded until the dough was ready. But still after a few hours nothing...a few hours more..nothing. In fact I actually left this dough for almost 10 hours and did not see a thing. Very strange indeed, and upsetting.

Round one - ready for it's first rise!

Shaped and ready for the second rise.

Fully proofed and ready to bake.

Out of the oven! Look at the spring.

Freshly toasted with peach jam from the farmer's market.

As I've grown over the last 5 or 6 years, I've opted out of most white bread recipes so I was glad to have a recipe with some whole wheat. While I'm sure it's not everyone's bag of tea, I enjoyed this for sandwiches and toast. The loaf that did turn out, was light, airy and tasted slightly nutty. While I wouldn't throw away my 100% whole wheat recipes from Laurel's, this is something I would go back and visit.

I still can't thank Nicole from Pinch My Salt for rounding everything up for this challenge. Almost half way in and the BBA community on twitter is amazing. Some seriously amazing bakers, adventurers, and inspiring cooks. If you have some time, check out;

Something Shiny - Lovin' from the Oven - A Stove With A House Around It - Ahrelich Gesagt - A Tiger In The Kitchen - Bread Experience

3 comments:

Emily said...

That is a perfect loaf of bread!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

You're light wheat bread looks wonderful Chris! I enjoyed making this one as well. It's a very rewarding experience making all of these beautiful breads, but sometimes you just need some whole wheat (even if it's only a percentage). I like to make the breads in the Laurel's book as well.

Thanks for the mention. It's great connecting with you and all the other bakers on Twitter.

Chris said...

Thanks! I agree Cathy. Even if it's just a little whole wheat, it was a nice treat. Isn't the Laurel's book lovely!!

Post a Comment