Sunday, February 22, 2009

green curry chicken on coconut basmati rice

With my first attempt at making a Thai style curry dish a success, and a container of curry left, I jumped at the chance to make another dish. The main difference, if you couldn't tell by the name, was a change in protein. Chicken would be the flavour on this day.

Besides giving the chicken a partial cook and adding more vegetables, the dish came together in a very similar way to my first attempt. I also felt like I needed a bit more sauce so I also opened up two 14 oz cans of coconut milk instead of one. It turned out great and has given me even more reason to keep coconut milk on hand.


  • Slice chicken breasts into strips (add salt and pepper)
  • Heat up tablespoon of oil in pan and cook chicken until almost done
  • Remove from heat and set aside
  • Put sliced onions into pan and saute until soft, 3-4 minutes
  • Add about 2 tablespoons of green curry paste and a handful of green onions.
  • Cook this mixture until fragrant, about 1 minute
  • Add in coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, and sugar
  • Bring to a boil and let it ride 4-5 minutes to thicken up a bit
  • Add in vegetables - I used red peppers, mushrooms, and baby corn
  • Bring back to a boil and let it ride for a few minutes
  • Add in chicken strips to finish their cooking and for sauce to thicken
  • Plate on top of coconut rice, and finish with a slice of lime and fresh cilantro
While chicken strips are good; I'm pretty sure I'll go back to shrimp on my next attempt. If I do happen to have some chicken ready, I'm going to cook it through and add it back in shredded for a bit texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment