Happy New Year's Everyone. With 2009 just hours from being over, I wanted to wish you all the best in the upcoming year. Play safe tonight, and if you have any crazy stories, come back and share! I mean we are the sharing kind around here. ;)
- If you haven't had a chance to read some of my thoughts about the decade in food, do have a read when you get a chance. I would love to hear your thoughts about the decade.
- Are you hoping to see a particular style of restaurant or trend for 2010 in your city?
- Pizza Hut in the US of A is starting 2010 with a bang, and a hell of a pizza deal - "customers can order any size pizza, with any crust and any toppings for $10"
- I hope you are ready for more Guy Fieri. That famous bleached head is going to be part of a new game show on NBC called Perfect 10.
- Speaking of TV shows. Food Network is finally broadcasting Top Chef Masters. having already watched the show, I can tell you it's an enjoyable break-off from Top Chef and may help non-foodies put a face to a few world-class chefs.
- Keeping with the Top Chef theme, the Voltaggio Brothers of Top Chef Las Vegas fame, are starting 2010 by starring in a "web series focusing on their favorite ingredients, techniques and gadgets".
- Seeing as it's New Year's, check out this lady in South Dakota who recently rocked a blood alcohol content of .708 (.o8 is the legal limit). Can you believe that!! I think that is the second highest record BAC in US history. "A blood-alcohol level of over .40 is considered extremely dangerous."
- Drinking and driving is stupid!! So I have no idea what a funeral home in Georgia is offering free funeral services for anyone who is high/drunk and dies on New Year's. WTF.
- Instead, why not watch this handy Chow video for Preventing a Hangover before heading out. And if you do tie one off, catch a ride with your designated driver, friendly cabbie, or metro bus.
- 2009 was a hell of a year for giant food records. From the largest hamburger to the largest cupcake. Check out this interesting list of giant foods.
- I'll leave you with the National Restaurant Association’s list of the Top 20 Food Trends for 2010:
1. Locally grown produceStay Safe Everyone! I Wish You The Best in 2010
2. Locally sourced meats and seafood
4. Bite-size/mini desserts
5. Locally produced wine and beer
6. Nutritionally balanced children's dishes
7. Half-portions/smaller portion for a smaller price
8. Farm-/estate-branded ingredients
9. Gluten-free/food-allergy conscious
10. Sustainable seafood
11. Superfruits (e.g., acai, goji berry, mangosteen)
12. Organic produce
13. Culinary cocktails (e.g., savory, fresh ingredients)
14. Micro-distilled/artisan liquor
16. Simplicity/back to basics
17. Regional ethnic cuisine
18. Nontraditional fish (e.g., branzino, Arctic char, barramundi)
19. Newly fabricated cuts of meat (e.g., Denver steak, pork flatiron, Petite Tender)
20. Fruit/vegetable children's side items