Sunday, April 5, 2009

Canary Melon meets 100 Mile

I just had a weird moment. I was sitting down to enjoy my first ever bite of a Canary Melon, which travelled all the way from Brazil, while watching the first episode of the new Food TV Canada series 100 Mile Challenge. Strange...I know. I'm a huge fan of local foods, and I've always been a regular farmers market shopper where ever I live, so hence the odd moment of eating this distant melon while watching a food about local eating.

Anyways, back to the melon. Having never picked one up before I punched it into google and found a great description over at Wikipedia;

The Canary melon is a large colorful melon that has a bright yellow outer rind with a pale green to white inner flesh. This melon has a distinctively sweet flavor that is slightly more tangy than a honeydew. The flesh looks like a pear but tastes like a cantaloupe. The name comes from its bright yellow color, which resembles that of the canary(bird).

It's a great description for a wonderful melon. Count me in as a fan. The new show has planted a seed in me, we'll see if it gets enough water and sunlight in the next few episodes to really grow. I'm glad they picked 6 families to follow, allowing us a fairly rounded view and I already feel sorry for the first family to drop out. It looks like in the coming weeks we will lose a couple more. Check it out if you can, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment