Wednesday, May 20, 2009

the week that was and is - may 20th, 2009

Snow Snow Snow. Where the heck did this come from. I have a feeling my first garden is quickly committing suicide........

  • Check out todays Edmonton Journal Bistro section for a break down of our very own Little Lebanon.
  • The back page of the May/June City Palate is all about Slow Food Edmonton's presentation of Indulgence. I remember hearing and/or reading about this before...but any local peeps want to fill me in with any details. Is this something to partake in?
  • I also just recently discovered chomparoundalberta. What a great idea to discover out of the ways locations, eateries, fresh produce and more They even have itineraries for you to follow with lodgings and everything!
  • Our local Technical Institute, NAIT, has started advertising for their epicurean boot camps. I would love be 'sponsored' for a class like this, as the price point ($2,295 for 5 days) will hold back many home cooks. I mean really; that's almost a semester of University. If you do have that kind of change hiding out in your couch, NAIT is offering 3 camps - Culinary Boot Camp Level 1, Level 2, and Pastry Boot Camp.
  • I've always wondered why we can't get great street food in Canada and I think the government has some crazy legislation to do with it. Even with all the hoops they had to in Toronto, the first day doesn't sound promising.
  • The Evolution of TV Cooking via Time.
  • Eat the Head! Pretty funny T-Mobile commercial with shrimp.
  • KFC is running a halal trial in a limited number of UK stores - "We have worked with the Halal Food Authority to understand the requirements involved in supplying and producing halal approved products. We are delighted that the HFA have certified KFC's products in these stores, and the store environments, as halal."
  • Bacon, bacon everywhere. I've heard of bacon ice cream, but never bacon and egg ice cream or bacon and beer happy hour! I smell road trip!
  • Cheerios, the new drug in town. I wonder if the hipsters are hiding boxes and creating a black market. ^-^!
  • Another reminder, Harvey's Free Hamburger Dayis fast approaching. Sunday May 24th, from 10:30 AM to 3:00 PM, you can stop by and eat lunch for nothing. And, if that isn't enough, why not try the new Tim Hortons iced coffee for free on May 21st between 12 PM and 5 PM; apparently it's "a creamy, sweet blend of Tim Hortons coffee on ice."
  • Right before this silly cold weather I picked my first tomato. I didn't realize what I bought was a cherry tomato plant..you know the whole being new to gardening thing. It doesn't matter however, because the tomato was delicious and I'm looking forward to more!


  • I was the recipient of a few samples of Starbucks Via instant coffee. I haven't cracked one yet, but I enjoy the last checked box (Anywhere). Anyone sample yet?
Lets all collectively cross our fingers for warmer weather!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

**Barista Disclaimer - the Via Brew coffee is pretty damn tasty, for INSTANT coffee. The idea is that you can take it anywhere you can't take your normal coffee. Not recommended for your everyday brew (particularly when you can visit your friendly barista).**

I told you about Indulgence back in March or April. ;) Was wondering if you wanted to go..think it's $50 for wine and delicious food from local chefs...but I've never been.

Maki said...

Yeah, I was looking at those culinary bootcamps and couldn't BELIEVE the price of them. So after one of those, are you qualified enough to call yourself a pastry chef or something?

Congrats on the tomato! I'm jealous. I'm so tired of the crappy store bought ones :(

Chris said...

I wondered the same thing. I mean it's more than just a $100 dollar cupcake lesson.... Fresh tomatoes FTW!

Sharon said...

Any idea if VIA is being sold in Canada yet? And if so, where?

Chris said...

I don't think so Sharon, just in the U.S. right now with the free trial versions being offered here.

Post a Comment