Wednesday, July 8, 2009

the week that was and is - july 8th, 2009

July 8th already; where is the year going everyone...that is the question this week.

  • Our local food columnist mentioned Fork Fest is back. I wasn't in the city last time around, but it looks like fun (see here, here, here and here). Hopefully I can dine at one or two spots. Any recommendations are welcome.
  • One of our morning news programs was doing a live spot from the new T & T Supermarket in town. They mentioned selling 4000 pounds of crab opening day, and flew in another 4000 for the second day. Holy Crab Man!
  • Speaking of T & T. Liane Faulder commented on Sharon's site, that a south side T & T is not in the works. Too bad, as I think it would be a great location, and I've been dreaming of this all year.
  • Isabelle, from The Little Red Kitchen, is doing a summer cookbook piece for CBC. Why not make it a part of your Monday morning - 7:40AM on CBC Radio One.
  • Interesting story about a Wisconsin man; I've always wondered what would happen if you picked a dead animal off the highway and brought it home to eat.
  • No surprise I suppose. A bakery that is owned by police officers in Michigan is called 'Cops & Doughnuts". They also sell t-shirts; "You Have the Right to Remain Glazed" and "Handcuffs and Cream Puffs."
  • Nutritional labeling is an odd beast. "Kellogg's Frosted Flakes cereal, for example, would not qualify for a nutrition iQ symbol. NuVal gives it a measly 22 out of 100. But it would qualify as a "Smart Choice" under a system the American Dietetic Association says will be unveiled this summer." Yes, I have time and like to cook, but I like to buy real food and go from there.
  • Stinky kitchen, why not simmer a pot of water with lemon and orange peels.
  • Have a quick look at this Cul De Sac cartoon. Oh Fontanel.
  • I had to thin my carrots a bit more this past week. It's something that makes me sad as a first time gardener; I'm throwing away potential vegetables right! I know it has to be done and I've been going a slow pace, but finally went all out. They are starting to develop enough to eat so I made a mini carrot plate. I can't wait for the colours to develop...and how cute are the little ball ones going to be!


  • Stopped in at Bee Bell Bakery for my father's birthday cake. Growing up, he would ask every day if black forest cake was for dessert, which it never was. Normally I would bake for friends and such, but I don't know my way around a BF cake. This one was ok, better than a Safeway/Sobey's (quality wise), with no real difference in taste and in no way 'more' authentic. Anyone know a great place to find one, please let me know.
Stay classy everyone!

5 comments:

Kevin Kossowan said...

So jealous of your carrots. If someone raids your garden for carrots, suspect me.

Chris said...

Maybe some carrots will find themselves out near you one day :) But really Kevin, I don't think my carrots will have anything on your grapes.

Court said...

I also feel very sad thinning my carrots - if only I could just have them all! I'm hitting up three Fork Fest venues this time around and am so so so excited! Red Ox is a favorite that I go to almost every time, but I am trying Culina Highlands this time (first time at that location) and the Blue Pear!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

My sister makes fantastic Black Forest cakes. She specializes in custom-ordered cakes and cupcakes. There are at least 20 flavors to choose from (on rotation daily) in the shop and Black Forest is one of them! Try one of her Black Forest cupcakes first and tell us what you think :)
www.cakecouture-edibleart.ca

Ellen

Chris said...

Thanks for the heads up Ellen. I'll stop in and have a look around.

Post a Comment