Wednesday, August 12, 2009

the week that was and is - august 12th, 2009

A few cold evenings this past week, and I've noticed a few damp car windows in the morning. Is this a sign? Should I start worrying about my vegetables?

  • Don't forget to look skyward tonight, as it's the climax of the Perseid meteor shower!! I believe you should look northeast around midnight if you want to catch a glimpse. "They can be seen all across the sky, but because of the path of Swift-Tuttle's orbit, Perseids are primarily visible in the northern hemisphere" Yeah that's us! Anyways, back to food!
  • No surprise I suppose that Julia Child's books will be getting a sales boost from the recent movie. "On Monday, a $40 hardcover of Mastering topped the charts of Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com, easily outpacing a $7.99 paperback of the book that gave the film its title,"
  • A portable grocery truck, similar to an ice cream truck, has started to bring produce out to some of Detroit's poorest areas. "Others who have studied the city say people in developing countries can more easily get fresh produce."
  • Interesting thought on how some cuts of meat came to be named. I like #3 - The term filet mignon is French for “dainty fillet.” Somehow this makes eating one seem a bit less manly, although no less delicious.
  • Food labeling to the max. It sure would spice up some conversations at with your friends.
  • I find it really scary that we have such an overabundance of food in the west, and we just don't know how to deal with it; look at these thoughts out of the US, that food stamps may lead to obesity. "Every way we looked at the data, it was clear that the use of food stamps was associated with weight gain," Jay Zagorsky, co-author of the study and research scientist.
  • Sure you could set up your garden with this 'mindless mat', but I've enjoyed the experience of winging it this year. Somethings die, somethings grow. Ah life!
  • Instead of making another round of English Muffins, I decided to bake the dough off sandwich style. The results were lovely, and taster approved. Light, moist, and totally toast-able if I say so myself. Oh and yes, those are peanut butter, banana, bacon muffins in the background...delish!!


  • Food TV updates - Anthony Bourdain did a show on street food last week, and as a big fan of mystery meat, I found myself let down. It was a compilation of his adventures, great if you haven't watched everything he has done, but not enough new incite for me..and where oh where was JapaDog!
  • Man V Food started it's second season last week, and created an enjoyable first show based out of San Antonio. 3 1/2 pound cinnamon bun, 40 some inch pizza, and a crazy hot hamburger. I love this show for it's pure extravagance.

No comments:

Post a Comment