Monday, December 21, 2009

woodvale facility and golf clubhouse - statusfirm christmas party

woodvale facility and golf clubhouse
4540 - 50 St
780.462.2101

Surprisingly late in the year, but better late-than-never, I accompanied Sarah to her staff party this past Friday. Located on the south side of our city, the banquet facilitles are actually on the the Millwoods Golf Course.

Having a look at the menu, I'm 99% certain we were dining on option D#2. Which besides the standard items; Ceasar Salad, Tossed Salad, Coleslaw, Marinated Pasta Salad, Chef's Choice Salad, Greek Salad, Assorted Pickles, Raw Vegetable Tray & Dip, Assorted Tortes, Cheese Cakes, Pastries, Fresh Fruit, Dinner Buns, Butter, Coffee & Tea also included

Roast Baron of Beef, Chicken with White Wine Sauce, Cabbage Rolls, Perogies, Fresh Vegetables and Roast Potatoes. *note the actually website lists the veggies as Vegatables. The standard items were exactly that. Yet, as a big fan of pickled beets, I couldn't help but smile when I saw a little bowl.

But really, what about the main options right! The potatoes were good. A bit of something on the outside, my only wish was that they were crispier (like breakfast potatoes). More vegetables, steamed this time instead of raw. The cabbage rolls were filled with rice, and while the cabbage had retained a bit of chew (I like) the rice was mush. The chicken, which looks juicy when it's covered in sauce, was hit and miss. Pieces of it were excellent while others were dry, requiring the need for that creamy, waist expanding sauce.

Finally the Baron of Beef. Our table was selected to eat first, and strangely enough, I was the first person at the carver. The main problem, and something I hadn't ever considered, was that I was now being sliced the end pieces. Sure you might like that if you want your meat cooked beyond pink, but not this guy. I want my piece of roast to be bloody. So alas, I was left with a few pieces of overcooked beef, requiring a scoop or three of horseradish to bring alive. Eventually I even gave up. I did also notice, the beef was quite oily, and had a sheen in the light of a gas in water (I've seen this before even on fresh deli meat, is there an answer?) With such a small group of people, It took a full round of second helpings to come close to the center where I could see a bit of juicy meat. Even then though, I was too full to head back into savory beef land. I wish they had split the roast in half, instead of just cutting from my end to the other.

Of course, no buffet is complete with out a sample of fruits and sweets. The fruit was sub-par at best, with the melons (cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon) all far from ripe and sweet. The pineapple was good though, making up for the disappointing grapes. I didn't step into the cheese cakes and torts, as I was full, but there was still a fair amount left when the staff took the food. Either everyone is watching their weight, or things weren't anything to write home about.

The staff were very good with our small party. Always there to fill your water or clean your plate, or serve you a adult beverage. All while putting a smile on and making you feel welcome. Woodvale has few rooms, ranging from 50-200 people, so even though the beef (and maybe the dessert) was a fail, I'd be willing to try another menu selection in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment