Thursday, February 5, 2009

maki maki - edmonton, ab

Maki Maki Japanese/Vietnamese Restaurant and Bar
8109 101st

There was some recent talk on Chowhound about The Mill shutting down and although I never went, it did seem like a bit a German institution. Maybe 'the best rouladen in town' wasn't a good enough sell these days. It does make me wonder how long it was there for. It is now occupied by a Japanese/Vietnamese restaurant - Maki Maki, which I imagine translates to Roll Roll. I stepped inside to have a quick look and gander at their menu. It's made up of typical goodies - sushi, sashimi, pho, bun, various noodle dishes, bento's, and combo's. They do have a lot of maki rolls on the menu, at least 25, so in honour of their name it looks like that is a major focus.


I do wonder why there is such a large percentage of "kitchen sink" style restaurants, and not more specialized ones. I mean where do you start - the pho, the fish, the udon...so many choices. I'll have to wrangle up some maki loving friends, as I tend to lean towards sashimi when I'm out, and stop in for a proper review. I did forget to check the menu for a Pho Sate, something I'm trying to hunt down here in town that comes close to what is offered at Pho Dau Bo in Calgary. There is a 10% off grand opening special right now, so that might persuade you to stop in. As a side, I did stand at the door for almost 10 minutes without anyone coming to greet me. Good thing I wasn't eating.

6 comments:

H.Peter said...

German "cuisine" outside of Europe never went with the times. Being Austrian, I experienced my fair share of German restos in the US and Canada. All the same, all stuck in the 1970's.

I love Schnitzel and get my fix at the Austrian Club in Calgary, but that's about it....

Chris said...

Thanks for the thoughts H.Peter. Nice to hear your insights...I always pictured the food really heavy, maybe something you enjoy on those special days...any truth to this?

Anonymous said...

I have eaten here once and it was delicious, I think I may try and go again tonight!

Can't get enough soft-shell crab.

Chris said...

Anonymous - I have yet to go down there, as I have a few choice places that I frequent. Do you have any recommended dishes to try? And really, who doesn't love soft shell crab? :)

Anonymous said...

Well, the thing about "standing at the door" is that you need to actually go into either the dining room or the lounge if you want a seat. Its too bad that they didn't even greet you at least.

And I worked at The Mill until the last day. It was open for around 27 years. A terrible loss to the German community.

Anonymous said...

I like maki maki so much because the food is great, the dragon roll, caterpiilar roll mexican roll and tempura, beef noodle soup and the service is good. I had a party there lastweek all my friend loved it. Iam so happy when Edmonton have a place like Maki maki

Post a Comment