Thursday, July 2, 2009

tart cherry scones

It's always a surprise when fellow homesteaders head out shopping, especially if that involves a trip to a store like Winner's...or in this case Home Sense. I've never picked up anything that requires baking/cooking from these stores so this was a first. The package given to me (to make) was tart cherry scones by a company called Sticky Fingers Bakeries. Besides scones, they make muffin, bread, brownie mixes and jams.

The package says - Quick & Easy. Just Add Water, Mix & Bake. I rarely make a packaged brownie, cake mix (and never scones), but I seem to remember adding more than just water. No eggs, no oil, no milk...just water. Opening the package, there was definitely a strong cherry smell which is a good thing. There are two baking suggestions, heaping tablespoons (like cookies) or shaped into your more traditional wedged circle. I opted to create a hand formed circle (good thing I'm not an artist).

20 minutes in the oven is all it takes. The score marks I made before putting in the oven seemed to disappear quite a bit. However, once everything was cooled it split like butter. As you can see, there is a fair amount of cherries in the mix. The taste...pretty good. Both the tart and cherry flavor is definitely there. It's on the drier side of scones, but I think it would be a great vessel for smidgen of butter and an afternoon (or breakfast) tea. And at the end of the day, I'm more than happy to bake up just about anything someone brings home.

No comments:

Post a Comment